Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Don Cheadle Teaches Blanche A Lesson About The Confederate Flag In Resurfaced ‘Golden Girls’ Clip

Don Cheadle is fighting back against racism in a resurfaced clip from an episode of “The Golden Girls”.

In his pre-fame days, the young actor appeared in an episode in which his character confronts Southern belle Blanche (played by Rue McClanahan) about the Confederate flag.

Twitter user Seb Starcevic found the clip and shared it with the platform, pointing out that the “scene feels especially relevant” amid the Black Lives Matter movement.

In the scene, Blanche is seen hanging up a Confederate flag, which its defenders claim denotes Southern pride, while others point out its basis as celebrating slavery as a symbol of white supremacy.

When Cheadle’s character questions why she’s displaying the flag, clueless Blanche insists it simply brings her “wonderful family memories.”

RELATED: Don Cheadle Talks About Being Stopped By Police: ‘I Always Fit The Description’

“This flag, Mrs. Devereaux, is not about college football games or quilting bees or fried chicken on Sunday. It’s about colleges that won’t let me in. It’s about companies that won’t hire me. It is about crosses being burnt front lawns today – not an evil past, Blanche, today,” he explains. “And not just in the South, all over. The North is just as bad.”

RELATED: Don Cheadle Talks About Being Stopped By Police: ‘I Always Fit The Description’

In a second appearance, Cheadle explained further. “The legacy of that flag is alive every time I’m walking down the street with a group of my friends and I see a white person cross over to the other side because they’re afraid,” he tells her. “So please don’t tell me about that flag, I’ve battled that flag all my life.”

The episode may have aired in 1992, but it feels even more relevant today than it did at the time.

 



from RSSMix.com Mix ID 8291209 https://ift.tt/3gbys6j

No comments:

Post a Comment